With all the hype surrounding low carbohydrate diets lately, I felt it may be helpful to share some information regarding the health benefits of one of my favorite foods
The fiber in oats also has many health benefits. Eating just a half cup of oatmeal a day is enough to reap the following health benefits:
Oatmeal contains insoluble fiber which stays in the stomach longer and helps you feel fuller, longer. This can prevent overeating later in the day, which will help you to maintain a healthy weight and avoid many of the health problems associated with being OVERWEIGHT
A study in the Archives of Internal Medicine confirms that eating high fiber foods such as oats can be beneficial in preventing HEART DISEASE
Starting the day with a hearty bowl of oats can help to STABILIZE BLOOD SUGAR and may even keep it under control for the rest of the day
When researchers looked at how much fiber 35,972 participants in the UK Women’s Cohort Study ate, they found a diet rich in fiber from whole grains, such as oats, and fruit offered significant protection against BREAST CANCER for pre-menopausal women. (Cade JE, Burley VJ, et al., International Journal of Epidemiology).
Clearly, there are numerous health benefits associated with including oats in your diet. I have recently started preparing overnight oats before I go to bed and enjoying them in the morning. Give them a try!
- 1/3 cup steel-cut or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 -1/2 cup milk or non dairy alternative (unsweetened almond or coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt or 3 tbls 100% whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix everything together, cover and store in fridge overnight
2. Warm in microwave in the morning for about 40-60 seconds
3. You may want to add a little more milk before eating, especially if you used protein powder.
op with chopped nuts, seeds or fruit
To Your Health – Noreen MSRD