This recipe is one that I “invented” by just opening the fridge and throwing what I had together for a quick meal. We all have those kind of nights where it is 5 pm and we have no idea what to put on the table. I like this recipe because it re-heats well and can be modified depending on who in the family is eating it.
- 1.5 pounds of ground meat (lean beef, chicken or turkey)
- 1 Jar of Salsa
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese
optional: 1 cup corn, 1/2 cup black beans, non fat sour cream, guacamole
Pre-heat oven to 350
1) Brown ground meat with chopped onions and garlic, add 1/2 jar of salsa and mix well
2) Place 3 tortillas on the bottom of a round baking pan with sides – so they cover the bottom of the pan like a pizza crust
3) Spread meat mixture on top of the tortillas
4) Cover with 1 cup cheese (I add the corn and black beans at this point – optional)
5) Place the additional tortillas on top of the meat mixture covering the mixture as best you can. It is fine if some of the meat is showing.
6) Spread the rest of the salsa over the tortillas and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the “pie”
Bake in oven about 15 -20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Let the “pie” sit for a few minutes, slice into triangles and serve with sour cream and guacamole
I usually pair this with a green salad – Delicious~
To Your Health!